The most relevant news from European Institutions in March 2023 regarding the water and wastewater sector
EUROPEAN COMMISSION PROPOSAL FOR A REVISED URBAN WASTEWATER TREATMENT DIRECTIVE
- Environment Council, 16 March 2023. Ministers held a debate on a proposal to revise the urban wastewater treatment directive.
- The European Parliament Think tank releases its briefing on the revision of the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive. This document is prepared for and addressed to the Members and staff of the European Parliament as background material to assist them in their parliamentary work.
EP Briefing note
- EurEau publishes its Position Paper on the European Commission Proposal for a Directive concerning urban wastewater treatment.
- A large group of stakeholders representing the drinking and wastewater sectors released a joint statement to support the EPR scheme in the proposed revision of the UWWTD.
- The European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) adopts its opinion on the review of the Urban Wastewater Treatment Directive.
other environmental topics
- The European Investment Bank (EIB), the lending arm of the European Union, has released a new report on “Microplastics and micropollutants in Water’. The report outlines the adverse impacts of these substances on human and animal life, as well as recent policy developments to address the problem.
- According to a recent analysis from the European Environment Agency, flood and drought risk management strategies are typically effective, but they may not be equipped to handle unusual events that could become more frequent with climate change.
- Statement by President von der Leyen at the UN Water Conference via video message.
- UN-Water Conference: EU joins efforts to address the global water crisis and ensure water security for all by 2050.